Sources and Fairy Tale Resources
In addition to the items from the Rare Book & Manuscript Library used in this exhibit, the resources listed here were consulted in authoring the exhibit text. As they are freely accessible, you may enjoy exploring these websites to read the stories featured in this exhibit for yourself as well as to learn more about folktales and fairy tales from around the world.
- “Aarne-Thompson-Uther Classification of Folk Tales.” Multilingual Folk Tale Database. Accessed August 7, 2020. https://web.archive.org/web/20180125212945/http://www.mftd.org/index.php?action=atu.
- Andonov, Viktor. World of Tales. Accessed August 7, 2020. https://www.worldoftales.com/.
- Ashliman, D. L. A Guide to Folktales in the English Language: Based on the Aarne-Thompson Classification System. New York: Greenwood Press, 1987.
- Ashliman, D. L. “Folklore and Mythology: Electronic Texts.” University of Pittsburgh. Last modified July 2, 2020. http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/folktexts.html.
- Fairytalez.com. Accessed August 7, 2020. https://fairytalez.com/.
- Hayashida, Yukari. “Wrinkles in Time: Crepe-Paper Books in Watson Library.” In Circulation, The Metropolitan Museum of Art. March 16, 2016. https://www.metmuseum.org/blogs/in-circulation/2016/crepe-paper.
- Heiner, Heidi Anne. SurLaLune Fairy Tales. Accessed August 7, 2020. https://www.surlalunefairytales.com/index.html.
- Kelley, Jane E. “Analyzing Ideology in a Japanese Fairy Tale.” The Looking Glass: New Perspectives on Children’s Literature 10, no. 2 (2006). https://www.lib.latrobe.edu.au/ojs/index.php/tlg/article/view/101/97.
- Morin, Mariza. “Warja Lavater: Writing Pictures and Drawing Books.” Booked Solid, Dallas Public Library. February 29, 2020. http://dallaslibrary2.org/blogs/bookedSolid/2020/02/warja-lavater-writing-pictures-and-drawing-books/.
- Ness, Mari. “A Fairy Tale of Dubious Origin: ‘Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp.’” TOR.com. May 27, 2019. https://www.tor.com/2019/05/27/a-fairy-tale-of-dubious-origin-aladdin-and-the-wonderful-lamp/.
- World Heritage Encyclopedia. “Aarne-Thompson Classification System.” Project Gutenberg Self-Publishing Press. Accessed August 7, 2020. http://self.gutenberg.org/articles/aarne-thompson_classification_system.